Chocolate Angel Food Cake is a perfect summer dessert. The light and spongy crumb comes from whipping egg whites into a stiff foam (which also means this cake get points for protein too).
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 egg whites
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 3/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
1 1/2 cups rasberries
1/4 cup 100% orange juice
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites, lemon juice, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Add sugar and whip until peaks are stiff.
- Gently fold in half the dry ingredients. Then fold in the other half.
- Pour batter into an ungreased bundt or cake pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- Cool, upside down, on cake rack.
- Toss berries with orange juice.
- Slice cake into 12 equal portions. Serve each slice topped with 1/4 cup berries.
Nutrition information per serving: 180 calories, 1 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 80 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrates, 28 g sugar, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein